Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Engendered Species



Engendered Species:  The result of groups of people with similar physical, socioeconomic or gender characteristics who have collectively formed a social & political vacuum, the likes of which have become the sole focus and purpose of nearly a complete life-cycle from adulthood to death.  These humans are often thought of as intellectually stunted, egocentric, emotionally shallow and whose range of intellectual curiosity is limited to a perceived victimology based on events in the distant past which may or may not have had any direct impact on the human’s current circumstance.  


It’s actually an engendered generation and I have become less and less trustful of the whole thing.  Or maybe it’s that I am just bored with it.    If an adult person’s life is consumed with how people treat them based on whatever.. skin color, gender, sexual preference, religion, then I have to ask;  is it really about the offenders or  is there something intrinsically wrong with the offended(s)?  Not everybody with the same physical, social or gender characteristics are treated poorly nor do they feel victimized by every passing event or circumstance.  So, what's the deal with the others?

I suspect this group is also a bit of an endangered species.  Regular people are less tolerant of the Engendereds and they are dwindling in population.  That could mean one of any number of things:   Either most of them stopped thinking that the world owes them a certain behavior and perhaps realized that their own behavior has more impact on nearly everything in their lives … or that maybe they just got busy living and stopped thinking (and talking) about themselves incessantly.  Or they died.  

The argument, of course, is that they are treated unfairly because they are female, of dark complexion, American Indian, homosexual or even fat (Fat being a choice where the others, I suppose, are not).   Often these folks living in the vacuum of the Engendered Species act or speak in a way that is, if not offensive, at least obnoxious, drawing attention and stares, garnering a host of reactions from eye-rolling to taunting and in severe cases, arrest and imprisonment.   The general consensus of the Engendereds is that people are critical of them not because of this obnoxious behavior but because - you guessed it - they are victims.  I will admit that the characteristics which are  a choice and not circumstance are, on some level, amusing.  For instance, you take up a seat-and-a half on an airplane but you only want to pay for the one seat?  I mean really?

In the 45 years following the U.S. civil rights act of 1964, all manner of evolution, change, maturation, progress, advancement, growth, an epiphanic  come-to-Jesus-ish movement emerged in the United States of America.  Most folks over the age of 12 or 13  were aware, if not impacted by it.  The rest of us were just kids.  Mostly unaware.  Mostly happy.  Mostly color and gender and religion and sexual preference blind (We did still make fun of fat people though).

Do I feel guilty?  No. That it took an act of congress to facilitate decent behavior is a huge, actually monstrously grotesque scar in the history of human beings in general.  I get it, I agree, I know, I know.  Everybody knows.  Mostly though, I am fascinated and encouraged that the years following 1964 produced a species that not only adapted but embraced and celebrated the transformation of nearly an entire planet.   Too slowly in some ways and apocalyptically in others.  But it happened.   That 45 years later there are still people stuck in a time-warp of hate and perceived oppression and self-pity is suspicious.  What's the motive?  And, it's  boring. 

When I do business with people who qualify themselves or their business (or for that matter, any topic discussed) as African American, Gay, Christian, female, Muslim or any moniker other than their proper name or business title, I am immediately inclined to do business elsewhere.   Because, if it’s about that.. I worry that the services I need will take second or third priority.   If I want my clothes dry cleaned or an insurance quote or a bank loan, I don’t actually give a shit whether the human that provides that service is gay, female or dark complected, Christian or Muslim.   And I don’t want to talk about it. 

Cavalier?  Maybe.  I blame it on the Engendered Species.  
I am a victim of the Engendered Species.   I’m bored  with the lot of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?